The Surgical Technology Bridge program was developed to allow currently certified non-degree surgical technologists to earn an Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) degree in Surgical Technology. Surgical Technologists enrolled in the bridge program must have completed their Surgical Technology certificate or diploma at a Commission on Accreditation for Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) accredited surgical technology program. All major courses along with all related and general education course requirements must be met for the Surgical Technology Associate in Applied Science Degree.
Prerequisites and/or Admission Requirements:
1. General college admission requirements.
• Complete application for admission.
• Successfully complete college placement test if applicable
• Official transcript of any prior college credit on file with admissions office.
• Diploma or certificate in Surgical Technology from a CAAHEP-accredited program.
2. Current American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers certification is a prerequisite to admission and must be maintained throughout the program.
3. Final admission to the Surgical Technology program shall be contingent upon documentation of physical and emotional health that would provide evidence that is indicative of the applicant’s ability to provide safe care to the public, which includes signed and completed Medical Health form. Students will also need to have satisfactory completed all required immunizations, drug screens and background checks prior to admission to clinical sites.
4. Current certification of Surgical Technology (CST) through the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
Copies of diploma or certification in Surgical Technology from a CAAHEP-accredited program as well as items 2-4 must be on file with the Surgical Technology Program Director.
The CST and Surgical Technology certificate or diploma will provide curriculum credit for the following courses toward the A.A.S. degree.
• SUR 110- lntro to Surgical Tech Credit Hours: 3
• SUR 111- Periop. Patient Care Credit Hours: 7
• SUR 122- Surgical Procedures I Credit Hours: 6
• SUR 123- Clinical Practice I Credit Hours: 7
• SUR 134- Surgical Procedures II Credit Hours: 5
• SUR 135- Clinical Practice II Credit Hours: 4
• SUR 137- Prof. Success Prep. Credit Hours: 1
Total Credit Hours: 33
General education courses can be completed at the student’s own pace. Surgical Technology classes must be completed in the course sequence as described in the A.A.S. program. It is the understanding that most students are employed full time during their A.A.S. pursuit. Surgical Technology course placement is contingent upon seat availability.
Certified Surgical Technologists who are currently practicing in the field of Surgical Technology will complete BUS 137 instead of SUR 212. Certified Surgical Technologists who are not currently practicing in the field of Surgical Technology will complete SUR 212 instead of BUS 137.